AMP Duo diapers are an easy-to-use cloth diapering system, and a modern favourite!
AMP Duo diapers consist of a waterproof diaper shell, made of polyurethane laminate (PUL) fabric, and are lined with stay-dry microfleece. These two layers form a “pocket”, which is used to securely hold the absorbent component of the diaper- an insert of some kind. AMP duo are a favorite because they are so convenient- as easy to use as disposables, yet they wash well and dry quickly because the absorbent insert is separate from the waterproof outer shell.
What’s so great about AMP Duo diapers?
- Versatility! You can use them as pocket diapers, by stuffing them with your favorite insert- AMP hemp or bamboo inserts, AMP microfibre inserts, or even prefolds! AMP Duos can also be used as an all-in-two diapering system. This means that you can use the shell as a cover- simply lay a natural fibre insert (NOT microfiber) in the shell instead of stuffing it in the pocket, and fasten on baby. Then simply swap the wet insert with a fresh one at diaper change time. This means fewer shells to buy and to wash- easier on the bank, and on the environment! Many parents choose to use their AMPs as two-in-ones during the day and around the home, and then as pockets when out and about, or at night.
- Canadian-made! Increasingly, parents are choosing Made-in-Canada products. You can rest assured that you are getting a quality diaper with AMP- their fabrics are sourced in North America, and they are sewn by Canadian Mamas! No unfair labour standards, and no lack of environmental responsibility. Buying Canadian keeps our economy strong in these tough economic times. Other diapers may be less expensive- but are usually made in China, where labour standards are dismal at best, and where environmental policies on wastewater, emissions, etc, are lacking or not enforced. These diapers typically use second quality fabrics, elastics, and fasteners, and are notorious for de-laminating (the waterproof fabric separates), and elastics and fasteners that only last a few months.
- Your choice of sized or one-size! Although you will need to buy two sets of diapers if you choose sized AMPs, they provide a better fit for babies- you can use them right from birth! Because they are not worn for as long, they will last through several children, or can be easily sold once your baby outgrows them, allowing you to recoup some of their cost (and they re-sell really well). One-size AMP Duos are popular because parents need only buy one set of diapers, but they do not fit smaller babies quite as well- most parents of smaller babes will end up using disposable diapers for the first month or so until their baby fits the one-size diapers. Because the one-sized diapers are used for 2+ years, they do see more wear and tear, and may or may not last through your second child’s diapering years, depending on use (how many you use in rotation) and care (line-drying will extend the lifespan)
- Awesome variety of colours and prints! AMP Duos come in 27 solid colours! Boy, girl, or gender neutral, you’ll have fun picking your favorite bold or pastel colours! AMP also releases a new, limited edition print every month or two, so there is always a fun and funky new print to jazz up your diaper stash.
- Front pocket opening. If you’re already a parent, you know what I mean when I say “poop explosion”. Well, first of all, don’t worry about it. These diapers are explosion-proof! But even with the most explosion-proof diaper, you don’t want to be trying to remove an insert from the back end of the diaper when you’ve got a messy poop! AMP has cleverly designed their pocket openings at the front of the diaper, so you won’t have to worry about touching it… even though my grandmother used to always say “baby poop makes your fingernails grow” (she had 7 kids).
- Really, really nice elastic. The design of elastic on AMP Duos is second to none. Soft, gathered elastic is snug-fitting and leak-containing without ever leaving red marks on baby’s tender skin. AMP is also one of the few diapers that has elastic at the front of the waist, eliminating that front belly-gap typical of so many diapers on the market today. These diapers just fit SO WELL- skinny babies, chunky babies, the AMP Duo will fit perfectly.
A note on inserts
AMP has some of the best inserts around. Their hemp and bamboo inserts are sooo thirsty, soft, and practical! They are generally 2 layers thick (the hemp comes in a 3 layer version as well), and are square- just tri-fold them to fit in the diaper. Their design means they wash up really well, unlike some brands of thicker inserts, and they dry really fast, too, whether your use a dryer or line-dry (which is becoming even more important, since NS Power just hiked our electricity rates again!). Hemp and bamboo are more absorbent than cotton, and are naturally anti-microbial- these inserts wont get “funky” like microfibre inserts tend to. They can also be used like prefolds on smaller babies, or as burp cloths, change pads, household rags- you name it! You’ll still be using these inserts around the house in 50 years. AMP also makes hemp and bamboo boosters- perfect for night time diapers or for heavy-wetters!
So how much do they cost?
The cost of diapering with AMP Duos depends on a few things:
- Do you want sized, or one-size Duos?
- What kind of insert do you want to use- prefolds, microfibre, hemp, or bamboo?
- Are you planning to use the Duos as pockets, all-in-ones, or a combination of these?
Based on your choices, you can expect to spend between ~$260 and ~$610 on one set of 24 diapers with inserts. This may seem like a large upfront cost, but consider that if you choose disposable diapers, you can expect to spend about ~$2700 to diaper your baby from birth to potty independence! By choosing AMP Duo diapers, you stand to save over $2000 as compared with disposable diapers! What would you do with $2000? Go on a family vacation? Do some renovations? Pay off a debt? Start dreaming, start saving, and start cloth diapering!
Want to see more? Watch these videos!